Friday 24 January 2020

NAMI as a resource

I don't use NAMI as a resource very often.  I think it's because in the old days they represented "brain diseases" to the exclusion of disorders of abuse & neglect.  They were founded by parents of schizophrenic and bipolar individuals who worked to improve the lives of their children.  Those of us with disorders of abuse & neglect really never had representation because our parents were usually the cause of our problems.

But NAMI has changed.  Even in the 1990's they had begun to understand our needs.  I know as I was Consumer Council president for a year and as director of the Mental Health Association in Las Vegas, NM, I worked close with people from NAMI planning statewide activities.

I've been keeping up with NAMI activities in recent years here in Western North Carolina.  There isn't a chapter really close, but not too far away.  And SEASCAT signed up to present at a statewide conference that will happen in the not too distance future.  (At least I hope it happens soon.  It was scheduled for early February but postponed for funding reasons.)

I hope you read this far, as I do want to point out a few resources.  One is the NAMI Advocate, a newsletter.  It is published at the national level about twice/year and it full of useful information and personal stories.  It's available online at https://www.nami.org/advocate .

The other is the NAMI blog, with lots of short personal stories and links to other resources. It can be reached online at https://www.nami.org/advocate .  I related to one of these, which is written by someone with BPD (borderline personality disorder) and is about her connection with her "FP" of Favorite-Person.  I could see this as what I do as a Life Coach with a college student that I work with and with others from the FB page "Healing from Complex PTSD".  With the people from the FB page, I simply keep myself listed as a supportive other and people in crisis connect with me for a short period of time until they've made it through the crisis.  I really just provide encouragement and remind them they are not alone.  I know, as I've been there.

I need to find work, and this is where I feel I fit the best.  The hard part is asking for pay for doing it.  As long as I can afford to do it for free, I will.  But I have been homeless and will continue to seek out ways to make $ while doing it.  HHmmm.

While I'm writing, let me apologize for not getting posts submitted more frequently.  My Internet, where I live, is worthless.  I do have a lot of articles half written and will get those finished and posted as soon as I have more time online to do so.

Feedback is always welcome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join Us

Donate

About Author

About Author
Connie Jean Conklin, MEd is a former mental health professional, decades long advocate for mental health consumers and a survivor of child abuse, herself. She feels it is important to share the knowledge she has gained through her experience and search for recovery so that others can heal sooner.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts

Total Visitors

Powered by Blogger.