Saturday 11 November 2017

The Difference Between A Meltdown and A Trantrum

I was listening to a webinar about autism and couldn't help noticing there are a LOT of autism symptoms that have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. But not all of the essential ones, so I don't think I'm autistic. I just think there are symptoms in common between autism and C-PTSD? Or C-PTSD as I experience it.

The one that really caught my attention, causing me to pause the webinar and start writing, is the difference between meltdowns and tantrums. Meltdowns have plagued me as long as I can remember, at least, since the age of 5. And I know that I've often been accused of having tantrums, wanting to get my way- but I know that's not it at all! I have a serious problem with sensory overload, and I get frustrated and overwhelmed when I can't think.

I used to believe I was an introvert, because I often needed to be alone and did not do well in groups of people. This is very true when more than one conversation is going on. And it happens when someone turns the bass of up high on their stereo. I love loud music- unless the walls are shaking. Then it totally freaks me out. I love rhythm, and love melody. I hate discordant sounds as you often hear in jazz. It just makes me nervous. And it's often been hard for me to explain why I cover my ears and run from a roomful of people..... or someone's booming stereo, or just plain old refuse to go to some events. If I'm relaxed to begin with, I may do ok for awhile. But if I'm already stressed from other things in my life- I will have a meltdown quite easily.

To summarize, a meltdown is a reaction to over-stimulation. A result of being overwhelmed with all the things going on around the person. A tantrum is getting upset because a person isn't getting their way. It would really help if people learned the difference, especially teachers, and parents, and – oh everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join Us

Donate

About Author

About Author
Connie Jean Conklin, MEd is a former mental health professional, decades long advocate for mental health consumers and a survivor of child abuse, herself. She feels it is important to share the knowledge she has gained through her experience and search for recovery so that others can heal sooner.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts

Total Visitors

Powered by Blogger.